Go Back

Hong Kong Tomato and Egg

Tomato cooked with soft scrambled eggs with rice is a Chinese classic dish.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Course: Main Course

Ingredients

  • 3-4 eggs scrambled
  • 2 large tomatoes cut into quarters
  • ¼ white onion diced
  • 3 garlic cloves minced
  • 2 tablespoon avocado oil (1 tbs for egg & 1 for sauting onion/garlic) can sub with corn oil
  • tablespoon ketchup
  • ½ cup water
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon chicken bouillon
  • ½ teaspoon sesame oil
  • ½ sliced green onion for garnish

Instructions

  • Cut tomatoes into quarters. Dice 1/4 white onion and mince 3 cloves of garlic.
  • Add 3-4 egg in a bowl and whisk. Set aside.
  • (OPTIONAL STEP - CHICKEN ONLY) Marinate chicken with ginger, salt, sugar, chicken bouillon, corn starch, water and light olive oil. Mix well and marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour in the fridge. After marinating fry chicken for 5-7 minutes.
  • Heat pan to medium heat. Once its hot, add 1 tbs oil. Then add 75% of the whisked eggs (remaining 25% is used to make the sauce creamier). Lightly scramble for 15-20 seconds. Then, set aside.
  • Place pan on medium and add 1 tbs oil. Then, add diced onion and minced garlic. Saute for one minute.
  • Then, add tomatoes, 1 & 1/2 tbs ketchup, 1/2 cup water, 1 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp chicken bouillon. Mix well and cover for 2-3 minutes until tomatoes are soft.
  • Add cooked scrambled eggs from step 3. Mix together, then add the remained 25% egg mixture. Cook for 1-2 minutes. The sauce should be thick and creamy.
  • Top with sesame oil and mix together. Garnish with fresh green onions and serve with white rice.

Video

@cookwithdana

tomato and eggs gives me that warm a fuzzy feeling inside 🥰 #chinesefood #easyrecipe #healthycooking #foodtiktok

♬ original sound - alex🐛

Notes

see steps above on how to make the chicken version ◡̈  

Did you make this recipe? Tag @cookwithdanaa on instagram to show me your beautiful creations!