Golden fried rice is the best fried rice hack! It uses egg yolks to coat the rice giving the rice a richer flavor and fragrance. We’re also using classic Chinese sausage and Chinese broccoli in the dish to make a quick meal that takes less than 10 minutes to make.
Why You Will Love This Golden Egg Fried Rice Recipe
- Quick Meal. There are very few ingredients to prep and it takes only about 8 minutes to cook from start to finish.
- A Satisfying One-Pot Dish. We’re cooking the entire dish in one wok or skillet which means you have less to cleanup.
- Great Flavor. Using the egg yolk to coat the rice adds a wonderful rich flavor to fried rice that sets it apart from other recipes.
What is Golden Fried Rice?
This dish is a style of Chinese fried rice that adds egg yolks to the rice before cooking it to give it flavor and color. The egg yolks coat the outside of the white rice turning it yellow — hence the name golden rice. Then it’s stir-fried like fried rice.
Here’s a look at the simple ingredients needed to make this egg and rice dish. Be sure to check the recipe card down the page for the full list of ingredients and the quantities of each.
- Cooked white rice: Day-old rice works best because it’s a bit drier which gives your fried rice a much better texture.
- Egg: We will be separating the egg yolk from the egg white to coat the rice in the egg yolk to make golden rice. The egg whites are then scrambled to add to the fried rice.
- Chinese broccoli: This type of broccoli differs slightly from the standard broccoli found in the US. It has longer stems and a small head. In most recipes, such as this one you use only the stems. If you can’t find it you can also use the stems of regular broccoli because it will give you a similar crunch.
- Vegetable oil: You can use your favorite oil for stir-frying but I recommend sticking with one that has a neutral flavor.
- Soy sauce: This adds a hint of salty, savory essence to the rice as well as more color the rice.
- Sugar: Mixed with the soy sauce for a more balanced flavor.
- Chicken bouillon: I find a granulated chicken bouillon or paste that is easier to mix into the sauce. It boosts the flavors in the rice. Alternatively, you can use MSG for more flavor in your rice.
- Chinese sausage: For the best flavor use authentic Chinese sausage such as this Chinese sausage brand available on Amazon. It’s very different from American sausage with a chewy texture and sweet and savory flavor. I highly recommend it for its excellent flavor but you can replace it with your protein of choice — chicken, beef, or shrimp.
How to Make Golden Fried Rice
Here’s the highlights for making this simple egg and rice recipe.
Step 1: Separate the egg yolks and egg whites. Add the egg yolks to your leftover rice and mix well until all the rice is coated in the yolk. At this point, you should have yellow rice.
Step 2: Rinse and dry the Chinese sausage and then slice it into pieces. Rinse and slice the stems of the Chinese broccoli. Slice up the stems only.
PRO TIP: Save the broccoli leaves to boil or saute for another meal later on!
Step 3: Heat your wok or pan over medium-high heat and add the oil once it’s hot. Cook the sausage for 1 minute and then remove and set aside.
Step 4: Add the egg whites and scramble them quickly. Remove and set aside.
Step 5: Add the mixed rice and broccoli stems to the pan and fry until there are no clumps, about 2-3 minutes. Keep mixing and frying the rice.
Step 6: Add Chinese sausage, soy sauce, sugar, and chicken bouillon. Mix everything together. Add the scrambled egg whites, cook for 30 seconds, and you’re done!
The rice should take no longer than 8 minutes. Serve up your golden rice bowl and garnish with sliced green onions. Hope you enjoy!
- Use Day Old Rice. This is essential for a great-tasting fried rice. Trying to make it with freshly cooked rice will likely result in a soggy outcome.
- Choose the Right Pan. Use a wok if you have one but if not a skillet will work.
- Prep Everything Before Cooking. This dish cooks quickly so it’s important to have everything ready and available to grab quickly.
Sure! You can make it without the sausage to keep it vegetarian. If you want to make it a bit heartier you can toss in some crispy tofu right at the end to add some protein.
More Chinese Recipes to Try
Golden Egg Fried Rice
- 2 cups cooked rice day old rice works best
- 3 eggs separate egg yolks and whites
- 2-3 chinese sausage sliced
- 10 chinese broccoli stems only sliced
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon chicken bouillon
- green onion sliced
- Separate egg yolks and egg whites. Add egg yolks to rice and mix well until all the rice is coated in the yolk (all yellow rice).
- Prep the chinese sausage by giving it a quick rinse and drying with a paper towel. Slice the chinese sausage. Wash the chinese broccoli stems and slice the stems only.
- Heat your wok or pan over medium-high heat and add the oil once it's hot. Cook the sausage for 1 minute and then remove and set aside.
- Next, scramble the egg whites for 30 seconds max and take it out and set aside.
- Add the mixed rice and broccoli stems to the pan and fry until there are no clumps, about 2-3 minutes. Keep mixing and frying the rice.
- Add Chinese sausage, soy sauce, sugar, and chicken bouillon. Mix everything together. Add the scrambled egg whites, cook for 30 seconds, and you’re done!
- Garnish with sliced green onions. Hope you enjoy!