This Budae Jjigae is so easy and quick (only 15 minutes!) that you will be making this once a week. The one pot recipe is translated to Korean army stew. The dish is influenced by American foods during the Korean war.
The dish is spicy, savory, and a hit among friends and family. It also satisfies your cravings when you watch korean dramas! Hope you enjoy this delicious recipe.
Ingredients you need for your budae jjigae:
- soft tofu
- smoke sausage
- unsalted chicken broth (add half cup to 1 cup of water more if you like more soup)
- rice cakes
- instant ramen
- sliced cheddar cheese
- green onion
- red pepper powder (gochugaru)
- red pepper paste (gochujang)
- soy sauce
- fish sauce
- cooking plum extract (optional)
- black pepper
Steps to make the budae jjigae:
- Step 1. Mix sauce by adding all sauce ingredients (1 tablespoon gochugaru, 1 tablespoon gochujang, 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce, 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce, 1/2 tablespoon sugar, 1/2 tablespoon cooking plum extract, 1 tablespoon minced garlic and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper) until well combined.
- Step 2. Add sliced soft tofu, sliced spam, sliced smoked sausage, 1/4 cup kimchi, 2.5 cups of chicken broth, and 1/2 cup rice cakes, in the pot. Try to organize the ingredients in sections for the aesthetic.
- Step 3. Add instant ramen, sauce and cheese on top of all the ingredients. Turn heat to medium and cook for 10-15 minutes until instant ramen has cooked to your desired texture.
- Hope you enjoy!
- ¼ tofu sliced
- ⅓ spam sliced
- 1 smoked sausage sliced
- ¼ cup kimchi
- 2½ cups chicken broth unsalted
- ½ rice cakes
- 1 instant ramen without seasoning
- 1 slice of cheddar cheese
- 1 green onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon red pepper powder gochugaru
- 1 tablespoon red pepper paste gochujang
- ½ tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon fish sauce
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- ½ tablespoon cooking plum extract optional
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Mix sauce by adding all sauce ingredients: gochugaru, gochujang, soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, cooking plum extract, minced garlic and black pepper) until well combined.
- Add sliced soft tofu, sliced spam, sliced smoked sausage, 1/4 cup kimchi, 2.5 cups of chicken broth, and 1/2 cup rice cakes in the pot. Try to organize the ingredients in sections for the aesthetic.
- Add instant ramen, sauce and cheese on top of all the ingredients. Turn heat to medium and cook for 10-15 minutes until instant ramen has cooked to your desired texture. Hope you enjoy!
- Add half cup to 1 cup of water if you like more soup
Did you make this recipe? Tag @cookwithdanaa on instagram to show me your beautiful creations!