Korean Crab Jeon
This korean crab jeon (omelette) recipe is so easy and great for bento lunches. The texture of the crab jeon is soft from the egg and little bit crispy from the flour. The filling tastes sweet and fragrant from the crab, jalapeno and onions! Crab (or seafood) jeon is a great dish for all ages as the flavor is quite mild! The cooking process is very easy —mix all the ingredients together until it creates a thick batter and then fry on low-medium heat (similar to how you fry pancakes).
The crab jeon goes perfectly with some kimchi and rice. The kimchi provides an acidic element to the savory and sweet crab jeon. This recipe makes four to five servings. Don’t worry if you can’t finish eating them all (this might not be possible), you can freeze the omelettes as well (just make sure they are all cooked first!).
Ingredients you need for your korean crab jeon (omelette):
To make crab jeon, use the ingredients below:
- imitation crab or real crab – I love using imitation crab from Osaki brand. You can buy this from asian grocery stores like H-mart. If you have real crab meat, that would taste even sweeter and more delicious ◡̈
- onion – Chop your onion finely so you don’t have huge chunks of them while you’re eating the pancake. Large chunks of onions can ruin the overall soft and fluffy texture 😉
- large eggs
- green onions
- red bell pepper – also chop peppers finely to ensure the pancake has soft and fluffy texture.
- flour or korean pancake mix – I recommend to using korean pancake mix if you have it because the mix is a blend of different flours (rice flour, cornstarch, all-purpose) and seasonings (garlic, pepper, etc.). The korean pancake mix makes the dish taste more fragrant and crispier!
- salt and pepper
- canola oil or vegetable oil
- chopped chives
- sesame seeds
Great Recipe for Fridge Clean Out
This recipe can be very versatile as ingredients can be mixed and matched. Depending on what ingredients you have in the fridge, you can make scallion, seafood or even kimchi pancakes. Depending on how much vegetables and meat you have, you will need to adjust the flour and water may need to be adjusted. Look for slightly liquid-y batter like the one below if you’re using a slight variation of ingredients.
Some additional ingredients you can use (note: these ingredients are not part of the recipe. these ingredients have not been taste tested and will affect the consistency and flavor of the pancake):
- carrots – chopped in small pieces
- leftover protein like chicken or pork – ground meat works for this!
- zucchini – chopped in small pieces
- bean sprouts
Check our more of my favorite easy korean recipes:
- korean bibim guksu – cold, sweet and spicy noodles topped with sliced cucumber and an egg
- soybean paste stew – fermented soybean paste is added to the stew for a nice savory umami flavor served tofu!
- budae jjigae – spicy and savory soup with instant ramen, sausage, spam and tofu.
Steps to make the korean crab jeon (omelette):
- Step 1. Shred 1/2 pack of crab sticks with two forks in a bowl.
- Step 2. In a bowl, combine crab, chopped onion, minced garlic, 3 to 4 eggs, sliced green onions, diced red bell pepper, chopped chives, diced jalapeno, 1/2 cup of flour, 1/4 cup of water, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Step 3. Heat saucepan or skillet on low-medium heat. Once pan is hot, add oil. Add 2 tablespoons of mixture to the pan and place 1 shrimp on top. Cook for roughly 3 minutes on each side or until batter is golden brown.
- Step 4. Serve with rice and kimchi! Hope you enjoy!
Sign up for my newsletter (no spam I promise!) so you never miss a new recipe from Cook with Dana ◡̈
Korean Crab Jeon (Omelette)
- ½ package imitation crab
- ½ onion diced
- 1 garlic minced
- 3-4 large eggs add more egg if you like
- 2 green onions chopped
- ¼ red bell pepper diced
- 1 pack chives chopped in 3 inches lengthwise
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 12-17 shrimp peeled and de-veined
- ½ cup flour or korean pancake mix
- ¼ cup water
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 2-3 tablespoon cooking oil vegetable or canola oil
- chopped chives
- sesame seeds
- Shred crab sticks with two forks in a bowl.
- In a bowl, combine crab, onion, garlic, eggs, green onions, red bell pepper, chives, jalapeno, flour, water, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Heat saucepan or skillet on low-medium heat. Once pan is hot, add oil. Add 2 tbs mixture to the pan and place 1 shrimp on top. Cook for roughly 3 minutes on each side or until batter is golden brown.
- Serve with rice and kimchi! Hope you enjoy!
- imitation crab meat can be substituted with real crab meat if preferred
Did you make this recipe? 💖
Please give it a 5-star rating or leave a comment below to share your experience! Tag @cookwithdanaa on instagram to show me your beautiful creations😊
Cook With Dana is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce more cooking content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting Cook With Dana!